Saturday, June 25, 2005

Apology

I'm sorry to be so judgmental about the people in the 97 Flood. I have no idea what it's like to go through such a thing and am sorry to pass judgment on those who have. I don't know how I might react to such a tragedy. I shouldn't pretend to know. I'm so glad there was comparatively little loss of life from that event and that is the main thing to remember.

Maybe it's because I lost my own boyhood home (my family didn't live there anymore) in the flood, but none of my personal belongings, that I can be so harsh. I might be really sad that the home I lived in is no longer there and am wondering why I don't outwardly mourn the loss. Maybe I have blocked it all out of my mind and wonder why others don't do the same. It is sad to drive by our old lot and not see the house anymore. Very sad.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:42 AM

    Some thoughts on the flood of '97.

    A couple of comments about the way some things occurred in the aftermath of '97. I think a part of what was going on was the tremendous amount of energy that was spent in the clean up. People were longing for their lives to be "normal" and were having to work jobs and work on cleaning out houses, etc. They were also coming out of a temporary "refugee" situation. I think all of that taken together either causes many people to withdraw or to get angry.

    People lost "things", but some of those things were significant. It wasn't just furniture and carpet it was also picture albums, family heirlooms, etc. which had value beyond the intrinsic. (Would you be sad if you lost all the pictures of your children.)

    The other thing is that no one had anyone to complain to. You couldn't tell anyone how bad things for you were because they were a)tired of listening and b)feeling they had it just as bad as you. I think that is why so many pastors left, they are "supposed" to be understanding and not feel the same way everyone else does.

    Finally, I would say there are different ways to lose a home. I lost my childhood home when my parents moved to Montana when I was in college. I still drive by when I am in Minot and remember things that happened there. (My dad and I built the garage.) Char is about to lose her childhood home as it is being sold because her mother is in assisted living. It changes things, the sense of belonging changes with the lack of attachment to place.

    ReplyDelete